What can I visit at the port?

The western end of Victoria Quay is open to the public. The E Shed Markets, the Western Australian Maritime Museum, Sail Training Ship Leeuwin (B Shed), the B Shed ferry terminal and café, and O'Connor Landing (ferry landing) are located at the western end of Victoria Quay.  Read more in the Visiting the Port section.

Where can I take photos of the port? 

Photographs can be taken from areas open to the public, such as North Mole, South Mole and the western end of Victoria Quay. Read more in Filming and photography.

I’m looking into my family history. How can I find out about ships that called at Fremantle and who was on them? 

Go to Passenger and shipping records.

Where can I see historic photos of the port? 

A small collection of historic photos can be seen in our Photo gallery.

There is also a rotating display of historic photographs with captions on a widescreen in the foyer of Fremantle Ports' administration building on Victoria Quay.

For information concerning early photographs of Fremantle and the port, please contact:

Pictorial Collection
JS Battye Library of West Australian History
Library and Information Service of Western Australia
Alexander Library Building
Perth Cultural Centre
Telephone (08) 9427 3111


Local History Collection
Fremantle City Library
City of Fremantle, Town Hall Centre
8 William Street
Telephone (08) 9432 9766

How do I find out what ships are in port or what ships will be visiting the port in future?  

See the Shipping Movements page which has information on arrivals and departures, and ships in port. If you are interested in cruise ships, then click on 'Cruise Ships' in the menu on the top left.

How do I find out about bringing something from overseas or sending something overseas? 

Fremantle Ports is not directly involved in cargo-handling arrangements.

If your goods are personal (eg. you are relocating to or from overseas) then contact an international removalist. These companies provide a range of specialty services, including provision of knowledge and expertise; consolidation of goods; packaging; insurance; booking sea freight; and, handling initial contact with Government agencies. They can arrange transport for small fragile items through to furniture and vehicles.

If you are importing goods for sales/distribution, you can use a licenced customs broker or freight forwarder. They will provide a quote for all fees and costs likely to be incurred, including customs and quarantine clearance, tax/duty, wharf fees, cleaning fees, documentation and other fees. Freight forwarders generally provide a range of services targeted towards the commercial sector, such as customs broking, transport, warehousing, freight broking, insurance, liaison with shipping/air lines, logistic solutions, bonded storage (relating to Customs) and liaison with relevant government agencies (eg. Department of Agriculture).

A list of freight forwarders is at the Customs Brokers and Forwarders Council of Australia. Shipping lines are more focussed towards commercial trade.

I have shipped goods from an overseas destination to Fremantle. How can I find out whether they have arrived?

Fremantle Ports is not directly involved in cargo-handling arrangements.

You will require the original information regarding the goods which will include contacts and other details listed below:

  • container number
  • original booking agent/company name and details
  • departure date and estimated arrival date.
  • number of packages and description of goods
  • full contact details for the import agent/removalist/freight forwarder/shipping line in Fremantle.

The important aspect to focus on is the goods, and where and how they originated, rather than the shipping line (carrier). Many shipping lines act on behalf of others in carrying other ‘branded’ cargoes, ie. similar to airlines’ ‘code-sharing’; shipping containers can be physically carried by another company’s vessel.

Do any cargo ships take passengers?

Yes. See the Cruise People website for details.